Garage Door Repair Costs: What are the factors -that determine the cost of repairing your garage door?
Garage door repair costs vary from state to state, but generally run between $150 and $320. A typical garage door repair service consists of a manual inspection of the garage door and the garage door opener. It involves making adjustments to the spring tension and belt tension, lubricating the various garage door parts, and checking the limits and force adjustments.
Here are some of the factors that determine the cost of repairing your garage door.
- Garage Door Style – Some garage door repairs cost more than others depending on the style of the garage door. Older garage doors that are based on a tilt-up design are more difficult and more expensive to repair, as the spare parts for them are harder to get. Roll-up doors are much cheaper and easier to repair. Custom doors such as those made from solid wood are very difficult to repair and therefore expensive.
- Materials Used – The cost of the garage door repair can depend on the materials used in the door. Steel doors are much cheaper to repair than those made of wood. Thicker, insulated garage doors cost more to repair.
- Garage Door Openers – Most garage doors today are operated by a garage door opener. Garage door openers are generally inexpensive and easy to replace. If the malfunctioning garage door opener is the reason for the garage door malfunction, that means that the problem is not with the garage door itself, so the cost of the repair shouldn’t be too high. However, garage door professionals check the entire garage door system before coming to a decision on this.
- Finishing Needed? – The services offered by garage door professionals include painting and finishing of the garage door, which is done if homeowners feel that the color and finish of the garage door doesn’t fit the exterior of the house. This can add to garage door repair costs.
Let’s look at some of the most common garage door repairs and their costs:
- The garage door doesn’t open or close – There are many reasons for this. It’s possible that the sensors may have gotten obstructed, the garage door opener has malfunctioned, or there’s an obstruction in the wheel track. Generally, repairing a garage door that doesn’t open or close costs between $150 and $300.
- The movement of the garage door is not even – The most common reason for this is spring issues, which is a common problem with roll-up doors. The garage door repair in this case can cost $300 and requires two to three hours of work. If there are track issues as well, this can be fixed for an additional $150.
- The garage door makes a lot of noise when opening and closing – The garage door professional resolves this problem by cleaning the tracks and coating them with a special lubricant. This usually costs between $150 and $170.